Thursday, April 18, 2013

Coloring blue hair tutorial on MIC Twinkles Fairy

 HIYA GUYS miss me? I got sick but I'm doing much better now and getting back to my coloring.

 I missed my Saturated Canary post so I owe you guys an extra creation, sorry :)

I decided to post this tute thats been sitting in my drafts since last year lol!! Yeah this tute was published on the Spectrum Noir blog last year (or was it in Jan this year??) but I never did get a chance to showcase it here nor did anyone get to see what I did with her. This card ended up at the CHA Winter 2012 show at the Spectrum Noir booth. 
I saw a few pictures of people holding my card lol!!! So cool lol!

I used Make It Crafty Fairy Twinkles DIGI and also how cool does the Flower Leaf Swirls Laser chipboard looks all sparkly! 
Obviously all colored with Spectrum Noir markers



I hope you forgive me for not sharing last year but can I make it up by sharing the coloring tute lol! I hope it's useful to you and want to give it a try on how your DIBBS does blue hair for touch of texture with the white thin strands.
Thanks for stopping by and I'll be back on Saturday for TWO posting yes TWO LOL!!!



       

**********************************************************

Blue Hair Tutorial

 I think adding an undertone shade gives a realistic texture to the hair.
These are my markers for this combo:  IB2, BGR2, IG3, BT2

STEP 1: start adding undertone shade with IB2. Flick outward and move around your image for an easier and finer stroke. Do this all around the top of the hair, the bottom portion to the middle and this is optional add random flicks in the middle of strands. I do that to add more depth and interest to the hair.


 STEP 2: Now add BGR2 on top of all the flicks already laid. Straight on top and as done before. The only different thing we're doing now is slightly longing the flick. Now the BGR2 will be SLIGHTLY longer then our IB2



Step 3: Now we go back and add IB2 again straight on top as the other colors. Don't forget to flick a little longer than before.

Step 4: Now to add shading with IG3 and I tend to start from underneath the hair bangs , were the flicks start and on the top crown of the head.
Now due to bad lighting I didn't take a picture of me laying the BT2, but I laid it down right on top of all the colors and no need to make it longer just add it gently as if you were starting all over from step 1. Then let's mute it with BGR2, same thing no need to long it.
From this point it's a back and forth process. The reason I do this is to not loose the under tone and bring back that blue we originally laid. I then went back with IB2 and IG3  being my final touches.


Final result Is a fun blue hair chickie.

 Another tip I could give you, to keep thin strands is keep a consistent pace. Keep a pattern going as far as laying your markers. If you have to write them down to remember what order they were used that's a plus. Also when adding your flicks, introduce your following shade carefully along the side of the flick already there. Soon you will end with white highlights or you could fill with the lightest  color of the group family for instance on this blue combo I could of used BT1.


And that's how I achieve my blue hair coloring.
I hope you found my tute easy to understand and remember with patience and practice practice practice.
It will be worth it at the end.

Is there something you'll like to see me color or take on a technique using Spectrum Noir let me know. I now have a better camera and the pictures will be better, I hope lol! 

HUGS
Ruby

6 comments:

  1. wow, lovely blue colour, thanks for the tutorial :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is Very Very Cute! Love your blue hair Tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Ruby.............I was hoping you were using copics...sigh!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. STUNNING Miss Ruby,woohoo the colors are fabulous, who would have thunk blue hair but you have made it perfect, your layout fantastic, your so sweet to share how to color her hair. You know your coloring is PERFECT.
    Thanks for sharing sweety..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card, Ruby!
    Awesome blue hair. Thank you very much for the tutorial 😊
    Big Hugs, Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment and leaving me with a smile :)